Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

India 2012 ~ Day 6


India 2012 ~ Day 6

I’m sorry—is it really morning?  This is either a terrible mistake or some kind of cruel joke…   Haha…  Last night was ridiculously fun but 6am is kickin’ me arse!!  Up shower and ready, then straight down to the car and we’re on our way!  We’re picking up Gerard, Sukanya and Mahitha.  OH!  Forgot to mention… a familiar face in the driver seat!  Kaila and Matt’s driver is the same man who drove me when I was here in 2007.  I showed him the picture we took when I was here before and he was so surprised, made him laugh…  lol  Such a sweet man.  Anyway—off we go!

First stop, just out from the hotel in White Field we picked up Mahitha, then to Gerard and Sukanya.  Quick stop at a grocery store for some breakfast/snacks to eat along the way as we didn’t have time for breakfast before we left the hotel.  It was a small little grocery store.  Just opened, all the lights inside were still off when we went inside.  We walked around looking for something to much on… I found a small package of orange cream cookies (like oreos but both the cookies and the cream were orange flavored, I think there were 15 cookies in the package), a bottle of mango juice (probably about 28-30 oz), a big bottle of water (about 1Lt) and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos (I think it was a 10oz bag)… lol  Total cost: 430₨  (Current exchange rate is $1=50₨, so about $8.60).  At home in the US the most expensive item would have easily been the mango juice, probably $4-$5 or more for a bottle that size—any guesses on the price of the juice?  30₨… Not even lying…  $.60 for a huge bottle of mango juice—Remember how I love this place?  So true.  The cookies and the juice were awesome, but I was super disappointed when I opened the bag of chips and they smelled like rancid oil.  Fail.

So we’re in the car… Kaila and I are exhausted from last night and both trying to sleep.  My body is too long to get comfortable in the car and I’m trying in vain to find a spot where I can relax enough to sleep.  Not happening.  So smothered in lamesauce!  About 10, we pulled off for a pit stop.  I remember a KFC and a Cafe Coffee Day.  There may have been a few other buildings back behind but I wasn’t really all that coherent…  lol   I was soooo tired!   Anyway—we tried the KFC but they didn’t have anything ready (they had just opened) so we went across to the Coffee Day.  There was laughing and mocking… repeating jokes and funny moments from the night before…  It was a good time.  We go to leave and we’re clearing the area where we had been eating.  Kaila grabs the tray they had put the food on and starts to walk out the door…  with the tray still in her hands.  I started laughing to myself, walked out just behind her and said “Kaila—where are you going with the tray?”  She didn’t realize she was till holding it…  We both dissolved in giggles.  Good times.

Back in the car… still exhausted and still trying to find a comfy spot with no luck.  I don’t remember falling asleep, but I also don’t remember much of what happened between Maddur and Mysore… LOL  I think it was about 11:30 when we finally got into Mysore.  We went straight to the palace to walk around and see the sights on the grounds.  When I was here in 2007, it was end of June and it seemed crowded to me then… this time around with the Mysore Dasara festival (biggest and most extravagant festival in Mysore) nearing its end, the crowds were ridiculous!  Literally, people everywhere.  They were camped out all over the place in make-shift tents of blankets and tarps with cooking fires and all manner of stuff literally on the side of the road.  I’ve never seen streets so crowded!  Dasara is a huge deal.  The festival celebrates and commemorates the slaying of the demon Mahishasura by Goddess Durga.  It symbolizes the triumph of good over evil as depicted in Hindu mythology.  You should look it up… pretty cool stuff. 

We got our tickets, went inside and made our way to the palace entrance.  No shoes inside, so we left them at the counter along with the other 70,000 people who were wearing shoes. There was another 110,000 already not wearing shoes, cuz that’s just how they roll here…  LOL  They have a “rule” about no cameras/pictures inside the palace… but phones are totally acceptable.  It’s entirely possible that I used my cell phone to take a few pictures inside.  I only got a few shots (my favorites being of the Golden Howdah and the stained glass in the Kalyana Mantapa) before one of the guards yelled something in my direction (no idea if he was yelling specifically at me or not) and guilt took over.  Damn the bloody conscience of knowing right from wrong.  My phone stayed in my bag after that.  I felt better knowing that the howdah is actually used in the parades of Dasara so it’s not like there’s never been a picture taken of it. 

The first major room you come to is the Kalyana Mantapa, which looks like a big roundish ballroom with columns all around and a beautiful stained glass ceiling (see contraband).  The glass looks like huge peacocks surrounded by all manner of awesomeness.  A little research has enlightened me to some very cool facts about this particular room.  First—the purpose of the room itself is a marriage hall—which in and of itself is just cool that they have a room in the palace just for weddings. Second—the  glass and structure of the ceiling were wrought in Glasgow, Scotland!  How awesome is that?!

After the Kalyana Mantapa you go through a doorway into a set of hallways (I’m writing this from memory so I may get the order wrong, don’t be mad). In one hallway you see a “small” collection of caskets (ornate wooden boxes), trinkets and gifts presented from leaders, ambassadors and delegates from other countries.  One hall as portraits of the Indian royal family.  I found it very interesting that the last portrait in this hall was actually of the Tsarina Alexandra Fyodorovna Romanov.  No gonna lie, I was pretty proud of myself for recognizing her awesomeness way before we got to the sign with her name printed on it.   J    Have I mentioned recently that I’m in love with the Romanovs and I fully intend to see all there is to see in St Petersburg and the surrounding areas?  Everything from the Hermitage to ballets at the Mariinsky Theater and on to some of the most beautiful palaces in all of Europe.  Don’t worry, when it happens I’ll take you with me.  J

Eventually you come to the Gombe Thotti (Doll’s Pavillion). Way cool… all kinds of dolls and figurines and statues and ceremonial stuff from the 19th and early 20th centuries.  The very last thing before you go into the next part of the tour is the howdah.  It was so beautiful!  (pic below)  The howdah is the carriage frame thingie they strap to the elephant for the king to ride in for parades.  Sooooo cool! 

As you weave your way through the incredibly ornate hand carved doors and doorways, up and down gorgeous marble staircases and in and out of beautifully tiled and painted rooms and hallways you eventually come to Ambavilasa which is the reception room or “throne” room of sorts.  It’s the place where the head of the royal family (I think they are referred to as Krishnaraja in Mysore—I could be horribly wrong) would receive guests and take audience with visitors.  You only get to walk through the far end, away from the throne.  I so wish I could have taken pictures, it was gorgeous!

Once we were outside again, we walked around the grounds for a while. The gardens and the temples and all of the outer buildings in the fort are all so beautiful.  As we were walking around, a little girl stopped us.  She wanted to have her picture taken with us!  She was so precious!  That started an onslaught of random people stopping us and asking if they could have their picture taken with us… happened at least a dozen times… lol  I’ll have to get the pictures from Matt so I can post them.  For a fraction of a moment I had a little tiny taste of celebrity life… and I didn’t even mind!  J

Once we’d covered the front side of the palace grounds we headed back behind the main palace structure.  We were looking for an elephant to ride… cuz that’s what you do when you’re a tourist in a country where they let you do that.  It was one of the coolest and most memorable moments from my last trip.  We found the area where they were staging the elephant rides but they weren’t doing rides that day.  We were so sad… :o(  We did go over the where they were feeding the elephants and asked about taking a pictures.  We just thought they’d let us include the elephants in the back ground of the picture… we were pleasantly surprised when they brought the elephants up and told us to come into the pen area and stand next to them!  Was so cool!  They lifted their trunks and petted/rubbed our heads… totally startled me the first time… lol  wasn’t expecting it.  We got to have our moment with the elephants (which didn’t last nearly long enough) and then we were headed off the grounds.  As we were leaving, we got stopped again by a group of about 12 men who all wanted to have their picture taken with us…  LOL  still makes me laugh a little.  I guess when you don’t see many foreigners you want evidence to share with your friends so they know you really saw one!

Lunch was at a little place called The Road: A Unique Pub.  The entrance was a huge barrel.  Inside they had old cars set up with tables inside and there were posters of old cars all over the place.  We of course climbed into the cars to take pictures (also on Matt’s camera L) and be tourists. The area where we ended up sitting was set up with wide padded benches and pillows, kind of a mid-easterny feel to it.  Which was totally fine with me…  I ate and then laid down for a nap while everyone else finished… lol  We were the only ones in the restaurant.

We left the restaurant in search of shopping then to the Mysore Zoo to walk around for a bit.  So many beautiful animals...  I love the zoo.  After that it was back to the palace grounds for the lights!  They light up the whole place like Disneyland.  It’s pretty cool.  By this time, my phone had died so I couldn’t take anymore pictures, but Matt and Kaila took lots so as soon as I have a chance to meet up with them again and get copies, I’ll post them.  We stayed at the palace for a short while to oooo and aaahhh at the lights and then moved on to Brindavan Gardens for the Musical Fountain.  Last time I was here we saw the main gardens but the water was so high, we weren’t able to get to the side of the grounds where the fountains were.  It was pretty cool.  They choreograph the lights and the movement of the water in the fountains to music.  Kind of like the fountains at the Bellagio but way cooler—cuz it’s in India.  After the show at the fountains, we went up to the Royal Orchid hotel for dinner.  YUM!  It was a “5 star” moment… waiters with towels on their arms who bring the food to the table and then serve it to your plate.

After dinner we were headed home… I was exhausted!  So tired!  Didn’t sleep much on the way home and was so glad to see my bed.   What a day!






















































0 comments: