Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

India 2012 ~ Day 8


Divya comes today!  And I finally get to meet Don!  They are the ones getting married on Friday.  Well, technically they were married last year.  Don’s mother was very ill (cancer) and failing fast.  They were legally/civilly married in her hospital room shortly before she passed in Delhi.  Friday is the party for all of Divya’s family in Bangalore.

They came over to the house about 1 and we chatted and ate lunch.  There is so much going on in preparation for the wedding!  It’s going to be so much fun!  Just like in any other culture there is a lot to do and prepare for… caterers, decorations, flowers, the band, venue, etc, etc, etc.  Mary (Divya’s mother) has been away on a trip with the school she works for so she’s been planning a lot remotely and depending on family and friends here to help tie up loose ends and her nerves are about as thin as the skin of your teeth.  Shali is such a tease… she keeps calling Mary to wreak havoc…  “Mary, guess what’s happened?!” “Aye-oh, what now?” “Nothing. J”  Silly she is. 

Divya and Don came to the house about 1:30, I think.  There were hugs and chatting; last minute conversations about what still needs to be done and updates on changes to the band and a few other things.  Reminded me of several other pre-wedding conversations I’ve had in the last couple of years.  I swear most everyone I know is either getting married or having a baby… I’m just getting more awesome.  J

Got to know Don a little, which was nice.  Divya’s been in Delhi working for CNN IBN.  Don is a musician and works as a producer/jingle guy for a Delhi radio station.  They’re just a very cute couple and I love them both.  Plans for the day had been to spend the afternoon with them out and about starting with lunch.  We ended up having lunch at the house with Mom and Shali and then they came back to pick me up later in the evening for dinner.  We took an auto (autoriksha = little open air taxi).  I might love autos.  They’re fun.  One of those things that I’m sure people here don’t really think about being unique to this part of the world, but they’d be an absolute novelty in the US.  I think top speed is probably about 40 mph—maybe 50mph.  They’re fun little moments.

Dinner was awesome!  We went to Peter’s house (Peter is Divya’s uncle/Mary’s brother).  Peter is an excellent chef and I always look forward to anything that comes from his kitchen… and trust me, I definitely wasn’t disappointed. When I was here 5 years ago, he was the chef at the hotel I stayed at and now is catering freelance from what I understand.  We got a little lost on the way, but eventually found it.  Addresses here don’t necessarily make sense.  I’d never want to be the one driving unless I had an excellent GPS.  So many tiny side streets and alley ways; street signs are a blessing if you can find them and there are so many shops and people all over the place that even when the street signs are there you can’t generally see them as you’re driving along.  Side streets are very narrow, most wouldn’t think there’s actually enough room for two cars to fit through while traveling in opposite directions.  It’s true that sometimes you have to pull to the side and let the other driver have the right of way so you can each get to your destination. Bottom line is that it’s very important to have good directions or a driver who knows the city really well…  LOL  Divya was getting directions from Kavya on the phone as we rode along… I think we were looking for Shine Bakery (we were supposed to turn there) and then turn again at a building that looks like a gym (no gym I’ve ever seen, lol) and then down an alley way to the right and we walked half a block to get there.  I thought the whole thing was rather comical and was thinking about how we give direction in the states.  I have a fairly good sense of direction and it usually doesn’t take me long to get comfortable and find my way around in a new place.  Not here!  There are some roads we drive down that are somewhat familiar but, it would take me a while to figure things out if I lived here.

Anyway—we arrived at Peter’s house and I met Divya’s father (Noah? Noelle? For the life of me I can’t remember his name), hugged Kavya (Divya’s younger sister—I super love that girl), and met Kavya’s boyfriend whose name is also escaping me at the moment, and Irene (a Thai girl who lives with Peter’s family).  Sorry guys!  Don’t be offended… I love you both!  We had fun talking and laughing and joking.  It was a REALLY good time.  I wish I could bring all of them home with me so you could meet them and know how wonderful they are!

The evening’s menu was barbeque… and it was THE most tender yummy amazing beef and chicken you’ve ever eaten in your life.  I wish I had asked him for a recipe… but I’m almost certain it’s one of those things he just has in his head.  The meat was cooked all the way through—not pink at all, but not even the slightest bit dry or tough.  It was absolutely amazing, don’t think I’ve ever had anything like it before and I’m sure I’d be hard pressed to find anything comparable anywhere else.  We were on the rooftop terrace area of the house.  They lit a fire right there in the middle of the floor and we sat around and laughed and joked just like any bonfire/bbq party in the states.  Traditional consumption of food in India happens with the fingers of your right hand.  Bet you never thought of rice as a finger food, did ya?  LOL The meat was cooked in batches on a little grill that couldn’t have been bigger than 12x12 and then passed around on a platter.  We each took a piece, savored its yumminess and waited for the next round—and there were several.  I think we were half done before anyone thought about plates… lol there were also soft rolls and butter.  Meat and bread—I was in heaven.  And then… for dessert…  JAMUNS!!!  Remember how those are my very favoritest yummy dessert thing ever?  I might have eaten 6 or 7… and I didn’t even mind.  They were soooooo tasty. 

After dinner there were hugs all around and then back to Shali’s house.  Such a great evening!  Sincerely wish there was an opportunity to do it again before I leave…  :o(   Definitely looking forward to seeing all of them at the wedding on Friday.

Rooftop bonfire.  WIN.

Don, Divya, Divya's dad, Peter



The view...  house across the street...  lol

Irene, Kavya's boyfriend, Kavya




the bbq

bonfire burning down...

walking back out to the street to catch the taxi home

0 comments: